Lentils, carrots, and tomatoes are a savory and satisfying combination in this delicious, easy to prepare, stew. Enjoy with a side of your favorite citrus fruit.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (or canola oil)
- 1 onion (large, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 10-ounce packages of frozen sliced carrots
- 1 cup dry lentils (rinsed and drained)
- 3 cans diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces each)
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add chopped onion.
3. Cook for 3 minutes, or until tender.
4. Stir in garlic powder, carrots, lentils, tomatoes, water and chili powder.
5. Simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until lentils are tender.
2009 Recipe Calendar
University of Maryland Extension
Food Supplement Nutrition Education Program