Chicken Spanish Rice
This flavorful rice uses canned tomatoes and chicken with fresh onion, green pepper, and celery. Chili powder and black pepper make it a perky main dish.
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup green pepper (chopped)
- 1/3 cup celery (sliced)
- 1/2 cup rice (uncooked)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 can tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken (canned)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Cook onion, green pepper, celery, and rice in vegetable oil at medium heat in a large saucepan until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Drain tomatoes and save the liquid.
3. Chop tomatoes into small pieces.
4. Add tomatoes, liquid, chicken, water, chili powder, and pepper to rice mixture.
5. Bring to a boil and stir. Cover and cook on low heat. Cook until rice is tender (about 25 minutes).
Healthy Eating in Indian Country: Exercise
USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations