Brown Rice Pilaf with Sage, Walnuts and Dried Fruit
Dried fruit and sage combine to give this whole grain dish a flavor of fall, but you can enjoy it any time of the year!
- canola cooking spray (as needed)
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1 celery stalks (small, ends trimmed and chopped)
- 2 cups rice (brown, uncooked)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth (fat-free, reduced sodium)
- 1/4 cup raisins (dark)
- 1/4 cup apricots (dried, chopped)
- 4 walnuts (1/4 cup, chopped, optional)
- 1 teaspoon sage (dried)
- 2 teaspoons sage (fresh, chopped)
- salt (to taste, optional)
- pepper (to taste, optional)
- Spray the large skillet with canola cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté onion and celery until tender, about 5 minutes. Add brown rice and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add water, broth, raisins, and apricots; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 50 minutes.
- Stir in walnuts if desired, sage, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to serving dish. Garnish with fresh sage and serve immediately.
American Institute for Cancer Research, Diet & Cancer