Black Bean and Couscous Salad
This simple recipe is perfect for dinner tonight and a packed lunch tomorrow. It's full of colorful veggies and is filling and tasty.
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, low-sodium (or low-sodium vegetable broth)
- 1/2 cup couscous (uncooked)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- fresh lime juice (1 Tablespoon, optional)
- 1 can black beans, low-sodium (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 onion, medium (minced)
- 1/2 red or green pepper (minced)
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed (or 1/2 cup canned whole kernel corn)
- fresh cilantro (2 Tablespoons chopped, optional)
- Before starting to prepare the recipe:
- Wash red or green pepper and cilantro (if using)
- Wash and juice the lime into a small bowl (if using).
- Drain and rinse the black beans and corn (if using canned corn).
- Collect, mince, and measure all ingredients.
- Bring broth to a boil in a small pot, and stir in couscous.
- Cover the pot, and remove it from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, cumin, and lime juice (if using).
- Add beans, onion, red or green pepper, and corn to the vinegar and oil mixture, and toss.
- Fluff the couscous well with a fork, breaking up any chunks. Add to beans and vegetables, and mix well.
- Taste. Add salt and black pepper if desired.
- Add cilantro (if using) and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours. Eat within 3 to 5 days.
Colorado State University. Eating Smart Being Active Recipes.