Three Sisters Stew
This hearty stew is great for dinner and even better the next day. It uses different ingredients like sweet potatoes and quick cooking oats. Adapted from a recipe submitted by Alicson Scott, Chickasaw Nation Get Fresh! Program.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups red potatoes, cubed (or 1 1/2 cans, about 24 ounces, low-sodium sliced potatoes, drained)
- 2 tomatoes, diced (or 1 can, about 15 ounces, low-sodium diced tomatoes, drained)
- 1 can (15 ounces) low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels (or 1/4 can, about 4 ounces, low-sodium whole kernel corn, drained)
- 1/2 cup yellow squash, diced (or 1/4 can, about 4 ounces, low-sodium sweet potatoes, drained and diced)
- 1/2 cup green squash, diced (or 1/4 can, about 4 ounces, low-sodium carrots, drained)
- 1/2 can (about 8 ounces) low-sodium kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 can (about 8 ounces) low-sodium vegetarian beans
- 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small skillet, brown ground beef and onions over medium to high heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain fat.
- In a large pot, combine cooked ground beef, water, and red potatoes.
- Bring the pot to a boil and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients to the pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 25 minutes.
A Harvest of Recipes with USDA Foods
USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations