Melissa’s Slow Cooker Stuffing
My family’s recipes are a sacred tradition, especially our slow cooker stuffing. Rather than take away “unhealthy” ingredients, I wanted to make my version colorful by adding red cranberries and green apples. I also replaced the white bread with 100% whole wheat bread. The end result? My family loved it and I hope yours will too!
- Melissa, MyPlate Nutritionist
- 3/4 stick of light butter
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 16 cups 100% whole-wheat bread (cubed)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 2 egg whites (beaten)
- 1 cup water
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, mushrooms, and parsley to pan. Stir often until veggies are tender.
- Combine bread cubes, cranberries, and apple in a large bowl. Pour veggies over bread cubes and mix gently.
- Season with poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, garlic powder, and pepper. Pour in broth (just enough to moisten) and gently mix in eggs.
- Transfer mixture to slow cooker and cover.
- Set slow cooker to High for 45 minutes; then reduce heat to Low and cook for 4 to 8 hours.
USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion