Hearty Salmon Skewers over Brown Rice
Created for junior chefs, this simple and delicious recipe skewers just three ingredients -- omega-3-rich salmon, cherry tomatoes and pineapple -- for a quick dinner served over whole grain brown rice.
- 1 pound Salmon
- 3 Cherry tomatoes (2 ounces)
- 1 cup Pineapple (cubed)
- 2 cups Cooked brown rice
- 1 Lemon, raw
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, and paprika (to taste)
- 8 Skewers
- Cook rice according to package instructions and set aside.
- Clean fish and pat dry.
- Cut salmon into 24-1/2 inch cubes and coat all sides with topping of kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, paprika or any desired spice.
- Cut fruit into cubes and cut tomatoes in half. Set aside.
- Slide piece of salmon onto skewer, then tomato, then fruit. Repeat 3 times on each skewer (or until skewer is full).
- Heat 1/2 cup of canola oil in large skillet over medium-high heat for one minute.
- Place skewers in pan and turn every 2 minutes a side. Squeeze lemon on skewers as they are cooking.
- To serve, place 1/2 cup rice on plates and with 2 skewers on top. Squeeze a hint of lemon, if desired.
- Salmon skewers can be made in the oven or on the grill.
- Covering them while on the stove will steam them rather than sear them.
Seafood Nutrition Partnership