Chicken and Dumpling Soup
Try this spin on an all-time favorite chicken and dumplings. This easy, one-pot meal can be made for a family or ready to serve a crowd.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups carrot, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped, including some leaves
- 8 cups chicken broth, fat free, reduced sodium
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 egg, large
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or soup kettle over medium-high heat.
- Sauté carrot, onion and celery for 5 minutes; stir in broth, chicken, peppercorns, thyme and bay leaves.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer, partially covered for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix dumpling ingredients until well blended.
- Drop small spoonfuls of dumpling dough into simmering soup.
- Cover soup and allow dumplings to cook for about 20 minutes (they will rise to the top of the soup as they cook).
- Stir in spinach.
- Remove bay leaves before serving soup.
MyPlate National Strategic Partners
The Grain Chain