Beef and Vegetables
This dish can be prepared in about 35 minutes and may be served for lunch or dinner. Adapted from a recipe by Lela Gabbard, Pala Indian Reservation.
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups rice, uncooked
- 1 pound ground beef (or 1 can, about 24 ounces, canned beef)
- 2 cups steamed green beans (or 1 can, about 15 ounces, low-sodium green beans)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cooked corn kernels (or 1 can, about 15 ounces, low-sodium corn)
- 1 can low-sodium tomato sauce (about 15 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- In a large pot, add water to rice and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low heat for 15 minutes (do not remove the lid) until water is gone.
- While the rice is cooking, put ground beef in a large pan and cook over medium heat on the stove for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain fat.
- Let rice stand for about 3 minutes. Arrange rice on a platter like a doughnut ring. Set aside.
- Add green beans, corn, tomato sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder to pan with meat.
- Cook until steaming hot. Pour into center of rice ring and serve.
Tip for cooking ground beef: The recommended safe minimum internal temperature for ground beef is 160 degrees F, as measured with a food thermometer.
A Harvest of Recipes with USDA Foods.